In addition to imparting specific skills (technical or soft skills) to employees, corporate training has the following intangible benefits :
• Variety : Provides a refreshing break from the monotony of everyday work and gives the brain something new to feed on.
• Stress relief: For those involved in stressful jobs – for example frontline customer support – training provides a getaway (even if only for a few hours or a couple of days at the most). I am not saying training is a vacation, but it will most likely be less stressful than jobs like customer support.
• Networking: A training session can be a platform that brings together people from various teams within the same company. It can provide an opportunity for people to get to know each other better and exchange ideas.
• Team-building: Some teams are highly dispersed – for example a team of sales people who are always out of office meeting customers. For such teams, training sessions could be the only occasions when everyone comes together in one place.
• Employee reward: Providing training to employees is one of the best ways for management to communicate the message that they care about the employees’ growth. Thus, training is a performance reward. Also, if the training is at an overseas location, it is an added perk (if the employee likes to travel!)